It is that time of year again! Bloggers around the world are talking about Blogmas. Who’s doing it? Is it to late to decide? Should I be doing it? Is it a secret club? What is going on? And breathe. Before you start feeling overwhelmed, here is a little guide as to what Blogmas actually is and what it entails.
What is Blogmas?
Blogmas is a word that comprises of Blogging and Christmas. It is when bloggers decide that they are going to challenge themselves to publish a post on their blog every day on the lead up to Christmas. Kind of like an advent calendar for blog posts. Some people choose to publish a post every day of December, others up until Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and others opt for the 12 days of Christmas which runs from December 13th to Christmas Day.
It is not a mandatory blogger thing. Everyone who chooses to take part does so for different reasons. Maybe you want to give your end of year views a boost. The more you post, the more views you are likely to get overall. Some people (like me) enjoy the challenge. Last year was my first Blogmas and I posted every day from 1st to 25th December. It can sap some writing energy if you don’t leave enough time to write though! Others do it for seasonal content reasons, e.g. Christmas gift guides & Christmas themed posts are more likely to perform well during December when the rest of the world is interested in Christmas and not just eager elves!
There are no hard & fast rules. Just try to keep it fun for yourself and use it is an opportunity to discover new bloggers that you can follow into the new year.
What Should I Write About During Blogmas?
There are no rules. You can write about whatever you want! You don’t even have to be celebrating Christmas to complete Blogmas. Many people have a few Christmas related posts in with their usual niches, some people go full scale Santa’s Little Helper. Just have fun with it. Personally, I like to mix it up with a few Christmas related pieces, some travel and mental health (my usual niche) but also reflective posts relating to goals or what I have learned during the year. A kind of summary month for the year gone by and getting myself to think about what I want to happen next.
My Blogmas Schedule
At the moment, I am not very far into the writing process (I do this every time) so the order may be subject to change but for now, this is how my schedule stands.
- 1st: My Monthly Blogging Income Report: November 2018
- 2nd: What is Blogmas? & My Blogmas Schedule
- 3rd: 1 Year of Mental Health Monday
- 4th: The Book Lover’s Gift Guide
- 5th: Fun, Falls & Forest, Atherton Tablelands
- 6th: The Traveller’s Gift Guide
- 7th: Why I’m Not Waiting Until 2019 To Start My New Goals
- 8th: The Eco-Friendly Gift-Guide
- 9th: A Self-Care Gift Guide
- 10th: 4 Places to Visit in Under 3 Days
- 11th: A Letter to 13 Year Old Me
- 12th: Where to Travel in 2019
- 13th: The Last Minute Gift Guide
- 14th: My Favourite 2018 Destinations
- 15th: How Christmas Will Be Different This Year
- 16th: A Guide to Cairns, QLD, Australia
- 17th: My Month 11 Travel Reflection, Australia
- 18th: The Ultimate Brisbane to Cairns Road Trip
- 19th: The Ultimate Cairns to Melbourne Road Trip
- 20th: A Guide to Airlie Beach, QLD
- 21st: A Letter to 33 Year Old Me
- 22nd: My Favourite Blogs in 2018
- 23rd: How to Set Goals
- 24th: A Guide to Fraser Island, QLD, Australia
- 25th: Spending Christmas in Melbourne
- 26th: My 2018 Reflection
- 27th: My Full East Coast Australia Road Trip Budget
- 28th: Bloggers to Watch in 2019
- 29th: Reflecting on my 2018 Goals
- 30th: My 2019 Goals
- 31st: Meet the Advertisers: Oct-Dec 2018
This is my schedule so far but it may be subject to change! What are you planning on writing about this Blogmas?