It’s 2018 and the world is smaller than ever, flights are constant and we are bombarded by photos of exotic destinations 24/7 but you have a full time job and you don’t know whether you are willing to give it up on the unknown but here’s the push that you might need.
1. You don’t need as much money as you think, especially if you’re under 30. You can get Working Holiday Visas for lots of countries and they let you stay in a country for up to a year (with the potential to extend an extra year) and allows you to work in any type of job while you’re there. You can earn as you travel! (The most popular WHV countries are Australia, New Zealand & Canada).
2. You don’t enjoy your job. If you don’t enjoy your job, or you feel like you’re stuck living a life that you’re not happy with, you should travel to find what truly makes you happy. Working Holiday Visas can definitely help with this as you will be more open to try different jobs that you wouldn’t necessarily try at home.
3. You have no mortgage or children. You have no strings attached, you can literally drop everything at a moment’s notice and leave! If you have a partner, they might want to go just as much as you!
4. You need a self-confidence boost. Nothing’s boosts confidence as much as breaking out of your comfort zone & realising that you can do more than you think you can.
5. You’ll regret it if you don’t try. Yes, you might travel and hate it and want to come home within a few weeks, but that’s ok. If you never go, you’ll always wonder what it would have been like and there’s nothing worse than that person who says ‘ I could’ve…’ when they chose not to.
6. The world is changing every day. Venice is sinking, the 12 Apostles in Australia are crumbling into the sea, Maya Bay in Thailand is closing to the public. You don’t want to wait too long and discover that your bucket list is filled with things that don’t exist anymore.
7. The news has a way of depressing and scaring us. By exploring the world, you will meet real people from these places that the news are trying to scare us away from. Ignorance breeds hate and the world certainly doesn’t need any more hate right now.
8. Technology is so much better than it used to be. There’s hardly a place in the world that you can go to that doesn’t have free WiFi. You might find that you actually speak to some people more once you’re travelling than you ever did at home!
9. Life will still be there for you when you get back. Real friends won’t hate you for leaving, they support you. Your family might worry at first, but when they see you with a big smile on your face, they’ll be happy. Jobs will be advertised, you might come home and decide you don’t want to be in the same type of job as you were before you left!
10. The fact that you are reading this means you are looking for a reason, the truth is, the only reason you need is that you WANT to go, after all, it’s your life.
Have I convinced you yet? If you still need tempting, read my post about how travel made me want more for myself.