10 reasons to quit your job & travel the world

It’s 2018 and the world is smaller than ever, flights are constant and we are bombarded by photos of exotic destinations 24/7 but you have a full time job and you don’t know whether you are willing to give it up on the unknown but here’s the push that you might need.
Quit job and travel the world
1. You don’t need as much money as you think, especially if you’re under 30. You can get Working Holiday Visas for lots of countries and they let you stay in a country for up to a year (with the potential to extend an extra year) and allows you to work in any type of job while you’re there. You can earn as you travel! (The most popular WHV countries are Australia, New Zealand & Canada).
2. You don’t enjoy your job. If you don’t enjoy your job, or you feel like you’re stuck living a life that you’re not happy with, you should travel to find what truly makes you happy. Working Holiday Visas can definitely help with this as you will be more open to try different jobs that you wouldn’t necessarily try at home.
3. You have no mortgage or children. You have no strings attached, you can literally drop everything at a moment’s notice and leave! If you have a partner, they might want to go just as much as you!
4. You need a self-confidence boost. Nothing’s boosts confidence as much as breaking out of your comfort zone & realising that you can do more than you think you can.
5. You’ll regret it if you don’t try. Yes, you might travel and hate it and want to come home within a few weeks, but that’s ok. If you never go, you’ll always wonder what it would have been like and there’s nothing worse than that person who says ‘ I could’ve…’ when they chose not to.
Gondola at Venice canal
6. The world is changing every day. Venice is sinking, the 12 Apostles in Australia are crumbling into the sea, Maya Bay in Thailand is closing to the public. You don’t want to wait too long and discover that your bucket list is filled with things that don’t exist anymore.
7. The news has a way of depressing and scaring us. By exploring the world, you will meet real people from these places that the news are trying to scare us away from. Ignorance breeds hate and the world certainly doesn’t need any more hate right now.
8. Technology is so much better than it used to be. There’s hardly a place in the world that you can go to that doesn’t have free WiFi. You might find that you actually speak to some people more once you’re travelling than you ever did at home!
9. Life will still be there for you when you get back. Real friends won’t hate you for leaving, they support you. Your family might worry at first, but when they see you with a big smile on your face, they’ll be happy. Jobs will be advertised, you might come home and decide you don’t want to be in the same type of job as you were before you left!
10. The fact that you are reading this means you are looking for a reason, the truth is, the only reason you need is that you WANT to go, after all, it’s your life.
Meal in the Thai rainforest
Have I convinced you yet? If you still need tempting, read my post about how travel made me want more for myself.

Quit your job to travel

20 thoughts on “10 reasons to quit your job & travel the world

Chronis

(April 23, 2018 - 5:29 am)

I love this post and I agree 100%! I don’t have a “real” job and I don’t plan to find one! Nowadays, with the internet, you can find work online from anywhere in the world, and at the same time traveling is easier and cheaper than ever!

(April 23, 2018 - 7:47 am)

Who needs a ‘real’ job anyway! As long as you’ve got enough to live the way you wish then that’s good enough for me! 🙂

passaporte no bolso

(April 24, 2018 - 1:13 pm)

Love the way you think! Great post 🙂

John Aiwone

(April 25, 2018 - 2:09 pm)

Good post, enjoyed reading it. I think it’s important that you mentioned having a working holiday visas cos there are travellers who quit their job to go explore but they don’t seem to have a comprehensive financial plan.
    Also I don’t think it should be as slam dunk as quitting work altogether and spend all that gained time travelling. Like with me I work part-time and the job I do is something I really enjoy too, with the spare time I have I use to do my travelling or work on my blog so those full-time workers who want to travel regularly they can just take up a part-time job and work fewer hours.
    Maybe a post around financial tips for travelling without a full-time job can come in handy for a future post too, that’s if it’s not done on your blog already haha.
    Johnny | The Travel Connoisseur

(April 25, 2018 - 10:08 pm)

Thank you for reading! I’m on a Working Holiday Visa in Australia now & knowing that you can work really takes the financial pressure off!
      I’m definitely planning on doing a budgeting post for Backpackers, it’s in the works! 🙂

fynn

(April 26, 2018 - 5:43 pm)

This post is really nice 😁! It’s a pity that arguement number 7 is true to one hundret percent…! Thank You.

(April 26, 2018 - 9:59 pm)

It is a pity but I’ve found that it really does open your eyes to the stereotypes that we are programmed to believe from a young age!

lifewithneve

(April 26, 2018 - 8:13 pm)

I just love this, its so true, why sit around thinking of what you could do or courld have done, just go and do it. At the end of the day its your life so you gotta make you happy!

(April 26, 2018 - 10:00 pm)

Definitely, you’ve got to live your life for you and if working a standard 9-5 makes you happy then that’s fine but if it doesn’t then you need to find the courage to do what does make you happy!

lifewithneve

(April 26, 2018 - 10:21 pm)

Im just glad i figured out now that a 9-5 is not for me! I always used to wish i was happy with a 9-5 because i always felt those people had their lives together but nah id rather have the uncertainty tbh!! x

(April 26, 2018 - 10:23 pm)

Me too! I’m actually enjoying living week to week on the road, not knowing my plans and then settling for just a few months at a time! X

lifewithneve

(April 26, 2018 - 10:26 pm)

Its so exciting i bet! I cannot wait to be in the same position! I want to see everything ahahaha! (totes possible too) x

(April 26, 2018 - 10:35 pm)

You’ll have the best time! I want to see everything too! 😂x

Bekah

(June 27, 2018 - 7:09 pm)

Traveling before I had kids was the greatest thing I did for myself. And now, as mine get older..I’m looking forward to spreading our wings again and getting back out there into the world! Great post!

(June 27, 2018 - 11:13 pm)

I love this, it’s definitely something that I think everyone should do, even if it’s just for a few months! Thank you for reading! 🙂

Alamo San Francisco airport

(July 13, 2018 - 5:54 pm)

Probably for someone it truly is expensive, but this kind of impressions as in this country you do not buy for income everywhere else. There are also many beautiful places and cheap hotels as well as good conditions for car hire

(July 13, 2018 - 9:47 pm)

When you compare cost of long term travel vs normal living, you often spend more living in your normal life than when you are travelling! It’s about living as you travel rather than holidaying as if you treat it like a holiday then it is going to be expensive:)

heather

(August 16, 2018 - 4:42 am)

I think a confidence boost is huge! I went to Costa Rica for a month alone when I was in my 20s and it showed me that I could do it. It definitely felt scary to plan, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

(August 16, 2018 - 6:30 am)

It can definitely be scary to get out of our comfort zone but as soon as you see that you’re succeeding, it’s the best confidence boost in the world!