Month 3 Travel Reflection, Australia

Each month I publish a post that is a travel reflection to keep people updated as to what we have been up to during that month of travel. On our 3 month travelversary, we are in Eumundi (Noosa) in Queensland, about 2 hours north of Brisbane. In month 3, we have visited 2 places across 1 country (Australia), Brisbane & Eumundi/Noosa).

Travel Australia Reflection

Month 3 Highlights

• Buying a car, our first ever joint purchase!
  • Getting accepted onto the Ginger Farm in Eumundi.
  • Relaxing days at Noosa Beach and more active days at the National Park.
  • Kangaroos in our back garden.
  • Glass House Mountains Viewpoint
  • Watching the Athletics at the Commonwealth Games!

Noosa Beach travel couple

Noosa National Park, QLD
Month 3 Lowlights

• Worrying about whether the farms are actually eligible for our second year visa.
  • How stressful the 19/3 was.
  • Bugs – I’m not scared of them, if they’re outside I’ve learned how to ignore them, but when they’re inside I hate them! Unfortunately when you’re living in an area surrounded by trees and land, they’re everywhere.
  • Waiting for Farm work to start & having to rely on dry weather during the wet season.
  • Getting a million cold sores across my lips & chin.

What I’ve learned

• To always research a farm/fruit picking job before applying. It honestly saves time in the long run even though applying is already time-consuming.
  • Having a car when looking for work makes getting work 100x easier, it’s a big commitment but we worked out that it would take us 50 hours working each to pay off the car (with the farm job we got) so we thought it was well worth it.
  • You need to wear bug spray in the day as well as the night when you’re in a beach town and in more wooded areas.
  • Writing a travel reflection benefits me because though one month may be difficult, I can look and see what I can do to improve the next month.

|| Related: How Travel Has Made Me Want More For Myself ||
Eumundi-Noosa sunset, QLD
Next month

Across the next month, we will start work on the Ginger Farm & start ticking days off for our second year visa.

So…

This month has had more lows than any other month, but we are finally getting back on track and ready to work.

Overall, finding and waiting for farm work is rubbish BUT it will be worth it once we’ve done our days & are eligible for our second year visa. Also, when you’re feeling like you’re feeling a little in a rut, you need to plan to do something that will make you happy. I was fed up of waiting for the farm work so we booked to stay the night in our favourite Brisbane hostel and go to the Commonwealth Games while it was so nearby. I needed that boost to spur me on for further waiting.

|| Related: Month 4 Travel Reflection ||

18 thoughts on “Month 3 Travel Reflection, Australia

Month 2 Travel Reflection – bexcapades

(April 17, 2018 - 12:04 am)

[…] || Related: Month 3 Travel Reflection || […]

cassiethehag

(April 17, 2018 - 8:20 am)

Not looking forward to farm work if I end up in Australia… or the bugs! Kangaroos I’ll be more down with!

(April 17, 2018 - 9:53 am)

I’m slowly getting used to the bugs (but only when they’re outside where they belong), the Roos are cute though!

lesleyconnor

(April 17, 2018 - 1:01 pm)

I’d prefer a bug to a roo any day…Roos may look cute but they can be nasty

(April 17, 2018 - 11:16 pm)

The Roos here just go about their business, we don’t approach them & watch from a distance, cockroaches in the bathroom & mosquitos evwrywhere are much worse for me!

Anushree

(April 18, 2018 - 8:46 am)

I am just finding out about your new adventure and looking forward to more 🙂 Good luck

(April 18, 2018 - 9:13 am)

Thank you for reading! ☺️☺️

lifewithneve

(April 18, 2018 - 2:10 pm)

I absolutely love being able to follow your journey in Australia! I hope next month is full of more highs!

(April 18, 2018 - 11:14 pm)

Thank you! Me too, so ready to start earning money again 😂

Sophie

(April 25, 2018 - 8:02 pm)

I love reading your posts and finding out what you have been up to! I hope everything is going well! Good luck ☺️ x

(April 25, 2018 - 10:09 pm)

Thank you sophie! Can’t believe I’m into Month 4 already 🙈x

Sophie

(April 26, 2018 - 9:09 pm)

Oh my goodness, have you been travelling that long already! Times has flown by I bet haha x

(April 26, 2018 - 10:01 pm)

It really has flown, I can’t believe it 🙈x

thenorthleftblog

(April 27, 2018 - 4:13 am)

So sorry you’ve had a few low moments this month! But glad you’re starting to come through the other side now.
    How exciting buying a car as well! Definitely would make it easier to get about, especially if you’re doing rural work. Awesome 🙂
    thenorthleft.co.uk

(April 27, 2018 - 4:17 am)

It was definitely worth the investment! It’s made everywhere so much more accessible! ☺️

natasha

(April 29, 2018 - 4:42 pm)

It’s not nice to hear about low moments, but sometimes they’re what you need to make it to the highs! Fingers crossed this month is better!

(April 29, 2018 - 9:37 pm)

I know, I wanted to be as honest as possible too. Long-term travel isn’t just high after high, there are lows too but a fairly low month doesn’t have to turn into a low overall experience, it’s just part of the journey! Thank you! ☺️

TRACY JACKSON

(November 5, 2018 - 1:31 pm)

This brought back some memories from my time fruit-picking in Australia – 22 years ago! I was so lucky to find work picking apricots on a lovely family-owned farm near Murray Bridge, SA. I had the BEST time there – and certainly the most Australian experience of my year, as I was living with other backpackers but surrounded by Australians – including the fabulous hosts. Good luck with the Ginger!

Tracy x