How Travel Has Made Me Want More For Myself

I have been travelling now for almost 3 months and it is something that I have always dreamed of doing but never really believed that I would. I have always had travel motivation but now travel is giving me life motivation too.
How travel made me want more for myself
At 13 I wanted to move to Hollywood (typical theatre school kid) then at 16 I went to New York with college & almost convinced myself not to go to the airport with everyone else but to run away and stay there (which obviously didn’t happen). When I was 18 I started my degree in Primary Teaching and booked as many holidays as humanly possible. Between 2013 and 2016 I visited Portugal, Gibraltar, Spain (3 times), Egypt (twice), Venice, Croatia, Turkey, Athens, Poland, Crete & Santorini. Most of these were new places to me and were an escape from the stresses of University.
Radio city music hall New YorkDuring my final year in University, my boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to visit Australia but not only visit, go travelling ‘properly’. Living out of our backpacks & staying in hostels. At first, I was convinced that I wouldn’t be able to do it, then I asked myself ‘why not?’ I couldn’t think of a good enough reason so I let myself get excited.

|| Related: Deciding to Travel ||

We decided that we would work for 18 months & then go with as much money as we could have possibly saved giving ourselves the best start.
When we first left, I didn’t know what I wanted to get out of this year. I knew that we wanted to do the 88 Days regional work to get our second year visas to leave the option of returning but other than that, all I wanted was to do something that would make me happy.
Noosa main beach, qld
As the weeks have gone on & I have seen what this beautiful country has to offer, I’ve been filled with so many ideas of what I’d like to do. Unfortunately, I would probably need to be 12 different people all at once to do it all. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been called a dreamer, I’m sure it won’t be the last.

Writing this blog has encouraged my love of writing even more. Ever since I was a child, I have loved to read. I was that kid who took a book everywhere, including to parties ‘just in case’. Not only have I always loved to read, but I loved to write! I have always had so many ideas that I couldn’t always put pen to paper which is why the drafts section of my blog currently has over 20 posts in (all of which are varying in levels of completion). I want to be a writer. A travel writer, a children’s book author, to write a memoir, I want it all.

Walking around a shopping centre in Noosa, I walked into a bookshop (I can never resist) and I was hit with another one of my childhood dreams. I want to own a bookstore/library & encourage even more people to read. I want to host events for children to engage them with reading for pleasure. I want to open up a chain of bookstores that have heart & soul instead of mass produced bestsellers.

I also want to never stop travelling & to see every country before I die. I want to be able to make enough money that I never have to settle for a job that I’m only doing to fund more travel. I want to do all of the above whilst still being an explorer. Now you can see why I’m a dreamer who may have her head in the clouds but has good intentions.

|| Related: Packing for a Year Abroad ||
Noosa National Park, QLD
Travelling in these last few months has made me no closer to figuring out what I’ll actually do with my adult life, but it has made me more passionate about my life. I know that this was 100% the best thing I could have done & though I miss everyone at home, I know that they’re happy that I’ve found happiness.

Before I came travelling (or decided to travel), I knew (or thought) that I would end up working in a job related to my degree, I’d save up, move out, go through the traditional route of life and it terrified me that I would never get to see the world for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Travelling has helped with my self-esteem, it has helped with my confidence & even though some might describe long-term travel as putting off the ‘real world’, I have grown up more in the last 3 months than in the 3 years previous & I can say without a hint of cringing or awkwardness that I am proud of myself. I don’t want to settle for a life that I am not in control of. There’s a quote I have seen on Instagram that states ‘in 10 years from now, make sure you can say you chose your life & that you didn’t settle for it.’ That is my mantra.

|| Related: How to Pack for a Year Abroad ||
Noosa main beach, QLD

30 thoughts on “How Travel Has Made Me Want More For Myself

Megan

(April 6, 2018 - 10:28 am)

A great read – and so relatable! I think we’ve probably got some similar life goals. Travel can be so much more than visiting a place, it gives you a chance to view your life from another perspective. Happy Travels x

(April 6, 2018 - 10:42 am)

Definitely do think we have similar aims from reading your posts! 🙂 I love how at home I feel here, getting to know the culture & lingo better! Thank you! X

KylieH

(April 7, 2018 - 1:04 am)

This post is amazing! I would love to get out and travel as you have!

(April 7, 2018 - 1:07 am)

Thank you so much! You should try! A girl who I made friends with over here only came out on a 3 month tourist visa & is going to Asia now too & then coming back to Aus on a year visa! X

lifewithneve

(April 8, 2018 - 8:56 pm)

I love this! After my degree (1 more year to go woo) my boyfriend and I have decided to do just this! It’s amazing to be able to read your blog and see your adventures and see you do what we are planning in just two short years!!

(April 9, 2018 - 12:51 am)

That was us too! I worked for 18 months after I graduated to save & then we flew away! I hope you find some helpful information here 🙊

lifewithneve

(April 9, 2018 - 9:02 am)

Im planning to work for about the same! I bet i find tonnes!

lovableliterature

(April 10, 2018 - 6:21 am)

Love this! Just shows how important it is to love life and to live it to the full ❤️

(April 10, 2018 - 6:30 am)

Definitely! If I wouldn’t have come, I would still be doing the same thing and feeling negative about life, now I’m gaining the confidence to go after what I want without worrying what other people might or might not think! ❤️

lovableliterature

(April 10, 2018 - 6:38 am)

You go girl! There’s more to learn about life through travelling than any type of school exam 👌🏼

Amba Yalcinkaya (author: TOAB Sydney)

(April 10, 2018 - 5:57 pm)

I LOVE your articles!!! Travel has done so much for me and greatly shaped my decisions – keep up the awesome posts! 👍🏼☺️

(April 10, 2018 - 10:12 pm)

Thank you! I’m glad travelling has been a good thing for you too! ☺️

Carmen | Wellington World Travels

(April 11, 2018 - 9:09 am)

Great post and very inspiring! And I like it that you want to write a children’s book and open up a bookstore. That’s amazing. I hope all your dreams will come true! Maybe one day, we will cross each other’s paths on one of our travels. 😉

(April 11, 2018 - 9:50 am)

Thank you! Fingers crossed that now that I’ve realised all of the things that I want I can start to formulate some sort of plan as to how to get it! Maybe one day ✈️

Somto

(April 15, 2018 - 5:22 pm)

Wow, I can totally relate to this! Traveling solo for a year gave me so much confidence that I started my own business. Before, I thought I had to get a respectable office job like everyone else, but, like you, I think 2 weeks of vacation time is the definition of tyranny! Now, I’m a travel writer, and I’m working to make a full-time income from it. I promised myself I would never go to a job interview again! It’s so important to choose a life that makes you happy and fulfilled!

(April 15, 2018 - 11:17 pm)

Amazing! It definitely opens your eyes as to how much control we actually have over our lives! I used to feel very out of control, like my life was happening and just dragging me along with it but now I know that that’s only because I was allowing it. Good luck with your writing, I hope you can make it your life’s work!

Emily Bloomquist

(April 15, 2018 - 5:32 pm)

Congratulations on following your dreams! Too many people dream forever and never follow through to make them reality.

(April 15, 2018 - 11:18 pm)

Thank you! I’ve always known that I wanted to go but never believed I would! Now that I’m doing it, I can’t imagine living any other way!

Month 3 Travel Reflection – bexcapades

(April 17, 2018 - 12:01 am)

[…] || Related: How Travel Has Made Me Want More For Myself || […]

Bexa

(April 17, 2018 - 12:00 pm)

You are such an inspiration Bex! 💖 I’m always in awe of your Insta pics and the incredible places you have visited on your adventures. Well done for following your dreams! 😘 xx
    Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

(April 17, 2018 - 11:15 pm)

Thank you Bexa! You’re so kind ☺️ xx

toptravelsights

(April 20, 2018 - 5:37 am)

I think I understand what you’re talking about. Travelling has made me much more aware of my dreams and of what I want to do, too. There are so many options out there, and why stick to a traditional life that I know will make me unhappy if I can also have an untraditional one?
    I know how hard it is to choose one dream (because we can never have everything at once), but I am sure that by the time you return home, you will have figured something out and you will know what to do next.

(April 20, 2018 - 7:31 am)

Travelling has given me a new lease on life where I’m not (as) afraid to try it. I may not do all of the things that I want to do right now, but I’m going to have a go and I wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for the confidence that travel has given me.
      Thank you for commenting!

[…] Related: How Travel Has Made Me Want More For Myself […]

Mateja Drobnic

(April 21, 2018 - 3:32 am)

It’s so important to never stop dreaming. And to do what inspires you, because they will inspire others around you as well. And to stay true to yourself. These are the things I learned through traveling. it’s so amazing that you rediscovered your love for books while traveling and I wish you all the wonderful things ahead on your journey! <3

(April 21, 2018 - 3:38 am)

Thank you so much! I definitely want to stay true to myself, it’s so important to me to grow but not change myself to suit others around me!

TheGlobetrotterGP

(April 21, 2018 - 10:19 pm)

Dream big and reach for the stars but be prepared to work hard to achieve them is my moto in life!

(April 21, 2018 - 10:48 pm)

Definitely! I have ideas about how to make some of them happen, it’ll just take a little time to do it but I’m definitely going to work for it! ☺️

[…] Have I convinced you yet? If you still need tempting, read my post about how travel made me want more for myself. […]