My Packing List for a Year Abroad

So, I am not generally an organised person when it comes to packing for holidays but this time it’s different. I’m going to Australia for a year so I have to be proactive. I have spent lots of time trawling through blog posts, travel guides, articles & websites advising what you should pack for a year in Australia & they all mentioned different things so I have combined them to create my own.
Packing list
First I split the list into categories to ensure that I didn’t forget anything & here it is. I will probably add more/swap out things on this list but this is my first draft and I have included links to some of the products I bought so you can have a better look.

Essentials

Passport, Flight Itinerary, OzIntro Arrival (we are doing their starter package), Travel Insurance, Visa Acceptance Letter, CV/Resume, Driving License, International Driving License (forms can be picked up from the post office and they only cost ยฃ5.50), 4x Passport Photocopies, Travel Documents Wallet(for airport) and your EHIC Card (free for UK citizens).

Technology

Phone & charger, Camera & charger, Headphones, Worldwide Plug Adaptor, Clip-on Torch, Flash Drive & memory card, Solar USB Charger, Kindle Paperwhite & charger. (I bought mine in the Black Friday sale on Amazon).

Clothing

Underwear x10, Socks x4, Bikini x4, Denim shorts x2, Cotton shorts, T-Shirts x4, Vest tops x2, Leggings, Long sleeved black top, Long sleeved white top, Pyjamas, Hoodie/Jacket, Light rain jacket, Dresses/Playsuits x3, Flight socks, Flip flops x3, Trainers.

Admittedly this sounds like a lot when writing it down but it’s really not that much!

Accessories

Glasses, Sunglasses, Sleeping mask & ear plugs, Black Baseball Cap, Watch.

Toiletries

Folding toothbrushes, Shampoo, Conditioner, Moroccan oil (I swear by this on hot holidays for my hair), Deodorant, Shower gel, Razor & extra blades, Suncream (including factor 50), After sun, 100ml moisturiser (so you can take it on the plane), Nail scissors.

Medical

First aid Kit Bag – 90 Piece (for travel), Anti-bacterial gel, Insect repellent, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Anti-histamines, ORS sachets, your prescription medication (with your name on & check customs laws for each country you are going to).

Other

Bag Padlock (because my backpack will be my life whilst away), Sleeping bag liner, Microfibre towel (for quick drying), Make-up, Make up wipes, SPF lip balm, Tangle Teaser brush (necessary for my wild mane), Bobbles & clips, Diary & pens (obviously important), Clips (like harness ones to attach things to my bag), refillable water bottle.

Money

You will need to adapt this depending on where you are going but:
STA prepaid card, STA youth discount card, Currency for Dubai, Singapore, Indonesia & Australia (cash). Also, once we are in Australia, we will pick up our bank card (MasterCard debit).

Final note

I know that a lot of this I will be able to buy in Australia, especially things from the toiletries, medical & other sections. Do you think I’ve missed anything and need to go shopping again?

|| Related: Shopping for a Year Abroad ||

The links contained in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you click on this link and buy the item from Amazon then I will recieve a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend items that I have used personally.

25 thoughts on “My Packing List for a Year Abroad

fivefeetandoneinch

(November 21, 2017 - 8:51 pm)

Wow! There is literally so much to think about that hadnโ€™t even crossed my mind! Great post!

(November 21, 2017 - 9:07 pm)

Obviously you can adapt it for yourself, e.g. I know some people who would take a lot more clothes, some less, and different technology etc but for me I think it covers it! ๐Ÿ™ˆ weโ€™ll see what the final pack is when I try & fit it in the backpack! ๐Ÿ˜‚

fivefeetandoneinch

(November 21, 2017 - 9:08 pm)

Do you ever leave things at home and then purchase what you need a long the way?

(November 21, 2017 - 9:12 pm)

Sometimes I forget things & by them in local supermarkets once Iโ€™m there but this will be my first long-term travel experience of more than a few weeks, I imagine more seasoned travellers will leave out most of the toiletries, medical & other section to buy in the country theyโ€™re visiting & probably if going to SE Asia travelling I would take less clothes & buy there as they do really cheap clothes in the markets!

(November 21, 2017 - 9:14 pm)

Buy*

fivefeetandoneinch

(November 21, 2017 - 9:14 pm)

I see. Well I guess you will find out. Will be good to have an updated post of what you would change from this list after completing the year ๐Ÿ™‚

(November 21, 2017 - 9:16 pm)

Itโ€™ll be interesting to see what I still use next year & what can be deleted off the list! ๐Ÿ™‚

livelovetravelx

(November 22, 2017 - 2:51 pm)

Great list!
    It does sound like a lot, I hope you have a big enough suitcase haha!
    I didnโ€™t bring much when I moved countries, just my clothes and my laptop :).

(November 22, 2017 - 2:55 pm)

I know it sounds like a lot but my backpack will essentially be my home while Iโ€™m away ๐Ÿ™ˆ is there anything you would cut from the list? ๐Ÿ™‚

Jokerscuckoo

(November 22, 2017 - 3:05 pm)

Woah. Sounds like fun through. I go on vacation every year and seems every year I take less. However, I’m only gone for 7 days, so. ๐Ÿ™‚ I find that on vacation you tend to wear the same things over. For example, if I wake up to go to breakfast in one outfit but only wear it for 20 minutes while I eat… I may put that shirt with a different bottom the next day. But again, these are strangers I’ll see once or twice in a 7 day period so who cares if you wore those jeans twice. ๐Ÿ™‚ Seems like you got it under control. Have fun and be safe.

(November 22, 2017 - 3:07 pm)

Thank you! Iโ€™m going to update it when I actually start packing but for now this is my list ๐Ÿ˜‚

aims

(November 22, 2017 - 6:11 pm)

Wow wow wow I love reading other peopleโ€™s posts about their future travels to Australia. I can relate so much. Before I went travelling I tried to do as much research as possible and made many many lists. I know it sounds crazy but you probably wonโ€™t need it all, you tend you get rid of things and then buy when you need. But itโ€™s an adventure of a lifetime and I hope you have so much fun! Canโ€™t wait to read all about it and have chats with you xo

(November 22, 2017 - 6:13 pm)

I figured as much tbh! I know Iโ€™ll end up with less but I canโ€™t bring myself to remove anything yet because I want to be prepared ๐Ÿ™ˆ itโ€™s such a paradox ๐Ÿ˜‚ thank you! Xx

The Book Moo

(November 23, 2017 - 7:02 pm)

Little Miss Organisation over here! I think you’ve got everything but the kitchen sink! Not to worry, better to be prepared like a brownie than sorry later!

(November 23, 2017 - 7:28 pm)

Knowing me, Iโ€™ll forget my phone though๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Iโ€™ll take big bags & forget a charger ๐Ÿ˜‚

The Book Moo

(November 23, 2017 - 7:30 pm)

Oh deffo, that would be me that! I went to radio city live and was leaving without the tickets until me dad was like errr Mel? ๐Ÿ˜‚
        You’ll be fine, honestly!

(November 23, 2017 - 9:11 pm)

The most important things are passport, visa letter, money & boarding cards, anything else can be bought there ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ

The Book Moo

(November 23, 2017 - 9:26 pm)

True! They’re the essentials! ๐Ÿ™‚

(November 23, 2017 - 9:45 pm)

(And my phone, camera, kindle, suncream factor 50, hat, bikinis, flip flops, pjs, underwear, everything) ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ gonna end up taking all sorts of random stuff! Candles? Yay! My favourite hot water bottle? Yes! Special mug? Of course! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

The Book Moo

(November 23, 2017 - 9:49 pm)

Why not?! ๐Ÿ˜‚ They are the essentials after all! Oh well, don’t forget you can buy stuff over there like!

Shopping for a Year Abroad – bexcapades

(November 25, 2017 - 10:33 am)

[…] what to pack?! I needed to write a packing […]

Victoria

(November 30, 2017 - 10:40 pm)

This trip sounds so exciting. You definitely seem prepared! I wish I could be this organized lol! ๐Ÿ˜‚
    I’d love to know how you got the opportunity to live in Australia for a year. Sounds like a dream come true! I’ve always wanted to visit the Gold Coast! Living there would be amazing! I can’t wait to read all about it!

(December 1, 2017 - 7:10 am)

Thank you! Iโ€™m really excited! Why donโ€™t you? X